Except for residence halls, campus residents may request a patrol check of their home while they're away from for an extended period of time by completing our online Residence Check form.
Your residence will be checked nightly to observe the following:
- Are doors/windows locked?
- Are there damages to your home?
- Are there damages to vehicles parked on the driveway or curb?
- Are there any suspicious circumstances? (i.e. door/window ajar, side gate open, etc.)
Vacation Home Security Tips
An empty house is a tempting target for a burglar, so do your best to have your home look occupied while you're away.
- Don't pack your vehicle the night before as it provides potential thieves an irresistible target.
- Don't leave public messages on social media sites indicating that you're out of town.
- Valuables should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- Stop all deliveries or arrange for someone to pick up your mail, newspapers, and packages.
- Program your interior lights so that they activate periodically in the evening hours.
- Consider purchasing renter's insurance that will replace your possessions if they're stolen.
- If you return home and something looks questionable (i.e. a slit screen, broken window, or open door) do not go inside. Call 911 from a safe location.