According to the Clery Act and CalOSHA standard Title 8, Section 3220 every college and university is mandated to have a campus evacuation plan, department emergency action plans, identified assembly areas, and other emergency procedures. These regulations also require that faculty, staff, and students know what to do and where to go in the event of a campus emergency. To assist with this process UCI relies upon the Zone Crew to assist with training and education of everyone on campus.
The UC Irvine Zone Crew is comprised of volunteer staff and faculty across campus that will help facilitate evacuations or shelter/secure-in-place orders in an emergency. The campus is divided into thirteen ‘Zones’, each with a designated Zone Captain. Zone Captains have selected Building Coordinators for every single building on campus to assist them. Floor Wardens, and in some buildings, Lab or Suite Representatives are volunteers who assist the Building Coordinators.
UC Irvine Emergency Management Zone Plans
- Campus Evacuation Assembly Area information / Zone Map
- Campus Zone Maps (PDF)
- General Assignment Classroom Assembly Areas (PDF)
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Emergency Update Form - This form is used by Zone Crew team members to report and document the status of emergency situations. Communication of this information to the Emergency Operations Center is used to effectively deploy resources to the scene.
- Building Evacuated Sign / Suite Evacuated Sign - Print and post these signs on the outside of a building or suite doors after an evacuation
- Secure/Shelter In Place - Print and post this sign on the outside of building or suite doors during a secure or shelter in place notification.
- Zone Crew Fact Sheet 2019
Emergency Management Director
(949) 824-7147 (office)