WHEN FIRE OR SMOKE IS DISCOVERED, RACE TO RESPOND!!
R - Rescue or Remove anyone (including yourself) who is in immediate danger from the fire to the closest safe area. Simultaneously notify other building occupants to evacuate the area. Use the stairs. Do not use the elevators.
A - Activate the ALARM by pulling the nearest fire alarm pull station and call 9-1-1.
C - CONFINE OR CONTAIN the fire by closing all doors and windows in and around the fire area to prevent the spread of smoke and fire. Shut off all appliances and other equipment if safe to do so.
E - EXTINGUISH the fire with a portable fire extinguisher if safe. EVACUATE the area. Use fire extinguishers on small fires only – trash cans or smaller. After extinguishing a fire, back away and watch for re-ignition. Attend fire extinguisher training (sign up via www.uclc.uci.edu, search word: fire extinguisher).
TO OPERATE A PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER:
PULL – the pin to release the handle.
AIM – the extinguisher at the base of the flames.
SQUEEZE – the handle to release the extinguisher agent.
SWEEP – back and forth across the base of the flames, and if the fire does not seem to be getting any smaller, LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY and call for help.
IF YOU CAN'T EVACUATE:
- Move to a safe location with fire-rated walls, doors, and few interior openings.
- Use a phone to call 9-1-1 for assistance.
- Place wet towels or other materials around or under doors to keep smoke out.
- Display a sign or signal in the window to alert others to your location.
- Heat and smoke rise so stay as low as possible. Breathe shallowly through nose and use clothing as a filter.
If clothing catches fire – STOP DROP AND ROLL.