Law enforcement's goal is to locate, contain, and stop the active shooter as soon as possible. Officers will proceed directly to the area in which the last shots were heard.
- Officers may be armed with rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
- Officers may use pepper spray or tear gas to control the situation.
- Officers may shout commands and push individuals to the ground for their safety.
It is important that you:
- Be calm and follow officers' instructions.
- PUt down any items in your hands (i.e. bags, jackets).
- Raise both hands and spread your fingers.
- Keep hands visible at all times.
- Avoid making quick movements toward officers such as attempting to hold on them for safety.
- Avoid pointing, screaming, or yelling.
- Do not ask officers for help or direction when evacuating from the scene.
- Cooperate with investigators by providing them detailed information.