- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Follow the instructions of police officers.
- Do not attempt to move wounded people.
- Remain out of the active shooter's view.
- Your hideout should provide protection if shots are fired in your direction (i.e. an office with a close and locked door).
- Blockade the door with heavy furniture and turn off the lights.
- Your location shouldn't trap you or restrict your options for movement.
- Remain quiet and do not answer the door until emergency personnel arrive.
As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, you may choose to attempt to take the active shooter down:
- Act aggressively against him/her.
- Throw items and improvise weapons.
- Yell and fight.
- Commit to your actions and follow through.